Recently an employee survey results for leading European company revealed a bizarre situation about Company’s own products and brand consciousness. More than 30% employees were not aware of Company’s products and services besides not sure of their Company’s competitors.
Survey and employee discussion raised few important questions:
- How often marketing department realize the importance of internal marketing?
- How “well informed” are employees about company’s products and services?
- Is marketing department using internal employees sufficiently as “effective” brand ambassadors?
- What is your global internal marketing strategy?
Frequently multinational companies forget to allocate sufficient resources while deciding yearly mammoth budgets. Often Company employees are acquainted with company range of products from print media or broadcast media advertisements.
Using appropriate internal marketing strategy Company can directly and indirectly project and position its products and services strongly.
Although there is no silver bullet for defining common internal marketing strategy for products or services provider however proven best practices may help us.
In case of large size and multinational organization internal marketing may be considered as full time marketing managerial activity with responsibility and ownership for defining internal marketing strategy to inform internal customers (employees ) and plan the marketing campaigns besides resource(s) management on global platform.
Internal marketing strategy should not be limited to products or services education and information sessions, it should explain each product positioning, products or services competitive advantages, differential advantages and move over importance of Why customer value Company’s products or services.
The overall goal of internal marketing is to connect internal employee with company products and services via marketing channels. Initially employee may not be successful “brand ambassador” but he or she should not fail with ignorance or wrong information about company products or services in any public platform.
Product and services success factors in each country may vary based on various local and “global standardized” factors. Henceforth internal marketing strategy must be customized based on local market presence parameters. Merely emailing power point presentations to each country marketing department may not help.
Consistent successful products or services delivery requires active participation and involvement of “well informed” employee who not only helps improve production and services efficiency but should also understand importance of products and services from the customers eyes to sustain and improve product quality. Marketing department can play vital role in communicating the key success factors of products or services in market.
Guidelines for Internal marketing managers
- Understanding of Company culture, core and supporting divisions/ verticals/ departments and management style helps to define internal marketing roadmap.
- Mandate, empowerment and support from Company senior management and “exclusively” from marketing department.
- Understanding of global and local marketing strategy to define internal marketing plan.
- Strategy to Synchronize external and internal marketing management is key to promote and build successful brands.
- Identify various channels to engage employees at regional and global level.
- Effective creative and communication skills to use various communication channels besides managing people in working environment spread across multiple countries.
- Qualitative measurement parameters to measure effectiveness of internal marketing program on quarterly, half yearly and yearly basis.
- Innovative use of internal communication channels such as intranets social media channels, brand promotion quiz, sports events, products or services banners and period use of print media helps to imprint products and services in employees.